Governance Foundations I
Whether you are just embarking on your career in a Secretariat team or have been tasked with taking over the Secretariat function of your business, this course is for you.
In Governance Basics I, we walk you through the day to day functions of a CoSec and what is needed to carry out the duties effectively. We know from our experience that there is a difference between what you learnt in University and what is being asked from you in your real world job.
Here, we aim to close that gap, allowing you to execute efficiently, and importantly with confidence. This course is CPD accredited, allowing you to invest in your long-term career development, whilst ensuring your efforts are acknowledged and aligned with industry standards.
This course gives you 12hrs of CPD points
Corporate Governance and the Company Secretary
What is my role as a Company Secretary?
- The main duties of the Company Secretary
- What qualifications might I need?
- What is the typical structure of a CoSec team, what might my team structure look like?
Basic Corporate Governance
- What is it?
- What are the different codes?
- Why should I consider a governance code in the context of my organisation?
- Where to start with your framework
- Framework analysis
- Practical steps for improvement
- Benefits of a great governance framework
- What is Companies House? What do I need to know?
- Practical statutory Compliance – how do I know which form to use and what should I do with it?
- Annual compliance calendars
- Group structure charts
- Statutory registers and record keeping
- Appointment, termination, and detail changes
- What are my directors responsible and accountable for: directors’ duties
- What is the role of a non-executive director?
- Boardroom Behaviours
- Board evaluation and performance reviews
- Director induction programmes
The day-to-day role of the Company Secretary
- Types of meeting
- General meetings
- Key roles in the boardroom
- How do I develop a forward-looking agenda?
- What should go in my agenda?
- Board portals
- How do I manage and support the management of Conflicts of interest?
- What does a good board reporting look like?
- How can I help influence and enhance the quality of board reporting?
- What are minutes and why are they important?
- How do I manage and track actions?
- How do I write a good set of minutes?
A shares masterclass
- What are shares and what are the different types of shares?
- Who are my shareholders?
- How do I make a change to a shareholder in my company: the processes for issuing and transferring shares?
- How do I draft a share certificate?
- What is stamp duty and what do I do?
- What is an annual report?
- What will I need to draft within the annual report?
- What is a section 172 statement, and how does that apply to me?
Entity rationalisation programmes
Due Diligence Questionnaires – what information should I provide on my corporate structure?
Document execution and authorised signatories?
Victoria Garvin - FCG Governance Director
This course is presented to you by Victoria Garvin FCG. Victoria is a dynamic and versatile Governance Professional with over 20 years’ experience in Secretariat teams, primarily within the highly regulated financial services sector. She has previously held directorship roles and currently sits on the Board of a Multi-Academy Trust as a non-executive director and is a member of its Renumeration Committee and Education Standards Committee.